For those of you who would like to write a response to Emily's Memorial Service, a letter to Faith, Jason or another family member, or simply express how Emily's life has affected you, changed you, encouraged you, or inspired you (whether you knew her or not), please comment on this post. These will be printed and bound for the family.
Thank you so much~Emily T.




25 comments:
Dear Jason, Faith and family,
The first time I met Emily was when she visited Emily T. in Nashville, while I was living with the Mulkeys. As Christie, Emily and I sat on the bed, we talked (passionately of course) about every interesting and important topic that came to mind. There was no end to the opinions, as you can imagine. When I think of Emily, I think of a woman who loved to discuss the real issues of this fallen world, but was also willing to listen to others. In the midst of her own sufferings, she always showed a genuine interest in the lives of other people, even in the little details. Emily had a way of making those around her feel special- she valued people. I always appreciated it! Since I am many miles away, I figured this was the fastest way to send you all my prayers, thoughts and love. Please know that there are many people in Bulgaria who are praying for you all and rejoicing in Emily's new life with Jesus.
Much love, Rebecca
Emily, I was able to watch via the web and you paid your best friend a beautiful tribute and gave the Glory to God. Thank you. Sharon Miller
Jason, Faith and family-
I got to "know" Emily because of her blog. Tom Dirks told me about Emily after he found out that I have CF and that I am a believer. I've been following your story and her writings since last year.
Just wanted you to know that her blog, her struggle, her words are so meaningful to me. There was a time after her swine flu that she stopped blogging for awhile. When she returned she blogged about her struggles with God and her feelings. Her feelings were things that were so close to what I've felt in the past and could never really come up with all the words. She was so eloquent even in her hardships. The way she leaned on the Lord and kept holding onto Him was wonderful. I know she will be deeply missed.
God bless you all.
Anne Fickel
Dear Mulkey Family and Dirks Family,
Emily was a treasured friend to me. You are all in my prayers and thoughts. I am thankful to share the memories I have of Emily in my life. She was a prayer support when I needed her to be one, she was a listening friend, and a shoulder to cry on when I was not sure what to do at times in my life.
Emily shared with me the joy of having a baby.
Faith - you will one day understand how wonderful your moma was to all of us who miss her dearly.
Emily was in many ways my hero. Emily to me gave me hope in being a good wife and mother. Emily was the Proverbs 31 woman to me. "Her worth is far above rubies." She lived each of her days out as a blessing.
I will miss her. My prayers are support are with you. Tanna Barrett Page
What a beautiful tribute yesterday was for a sweet friend. We met Em and Jason at Crestview in Midland and have kept up with them through the blog and some contact.
What a special marriage yall had, one that has been used many times to show what real commitment should look like.
Emily came and spoke at our women's retreat several years ago and she had just found out that Faith was on the way. What a blessing and inspiration she was to every lady in attendance. She was spiritually "old beyond her years" and taught us all what our purpose as Christians should be. I will never forget that sweet face and gentle spirit yet feisting and fighting for her health, family and especially her Jesus.
Em and I have our life verse in common as I too have a "thorn in the flesh" that God has allowed me to carry and use to speak to many about His never ending love for us and giver of strength when we need it most.
I will miss you sweet Emily but will never forget what you left for us here on this earth.
Faith, your Mama left you quiet a legacy and I know we will hear about great things from you as you grow in God's grace. We are excited about what God does with your life!
Jason, we love you and pray that God will hold you tight through the coming months. You were a true warrior for Emily and gave her just what she needed, the love of a Christian man who cherished his wife with every fiber of his life. Thank you for loving her and being such an example to every other husband you came in contact with. We love you and pray that God will continue to shower you with blessings in the years to come.
We miss you Em, but envy you as you stand in the very prescence of our Jesus. Breath deeply and we will see you again someday! We love you. In Him, susan and wes
I have followed Emilys story through my aunts' blog. I have always loved her strength, and her love for her savior, Jesus Christ. She is such an inspiration to us all. We will be praying for the family, especially Jason and Faith as they go through this very hard time. I just want to give Faith a huge hug...she is the same age as my daughter. Stay strong, stay in Christ. He will carry you through this very hard time.
Jason, Faith, & Family,
I met Emily and Jason when they lived in Midland. My parents were their sunday school teachers, I got the pleasure to meet them and get to know them before they moved to Alabama.
I looked up to Emily so much, and still do. I don't think their is a person she did not minister to. She turned a terrible condition into an amazing testimony. She was so strong and faithful to God in the hardest of times, and that rubbed off on so many others around her because most people would have turned away from him... that is before they met Emily!
I remember her being in the car with my mom and I, and my mom got into a small fender bender. Nobody got hurt, and neither of the cars were hardly scratched, but Emily felt SO bad for my mom, and kept on telling my mom how sorry she was that that happened. She had the biggest heart, and brightened my day and everyone else around her. Emily had and shared the most amazing love.
Jason, you are an amazing husband and father. You have set a great example for other husbands, and you have reached out to others as well. You took such great care of Emily and cared for her so so much! I am praying for you, Faith, and the rest of y'alls family during this time.
When I heard about Emily I was having selfish thoughts, but then realized that she is breathing perfectly now and is not having to struggle anymore! She is my inspiration, and I will forever love and look up to Emily because she has shown me how I should live my life.
Much love & God bless,
Katelyn McInturff
Dear Jason, and Faith,
my heart has been so filled with empathy for you two and your family as you experience another moment in life. I met Emily at Northbrook Baptist Church when she attended a MOMS group there. She really blessed my heart with her courage and strength. I grew up with a mom who was terminally ill so Emily spent some time learning from my experience to prepare herself to be a "sick" mom to Faith. During those conversations I saw a woman who was really seeking knowledge of how to be the best mom, with a body that would not cooperate at times! So to Faith, Your mom wanted toknow what stuggles you would feel, where you would need her most and how she could fill you with a legacy. I know she did! She left you a wonderful story of her life, she left you with tons of people who loved her and now have a chance to love you and remind you of who she was to them! Faith, she left her legacy with you and she is with you! She will always be a part of you. Your mom was an amazing woman! Treasure her memory!
Jason,
What an amazing man you are. I know you will miss her more than anyone can know! There is a praise and worship song we sing that says because of Jesus's blood Heaven and Earth praise together! Connect with your precious Emily thru praising your Lord! I remember the day we sang at your house and I remember Emily asking us to sing the song..."as the deer panteth for the water so my soul longeth after thee..." I will always remember her thru that Song! I am Thankful to God that he brought you all to my life, even if It was for a short time!
Love you all!
Jamie Sosa
Dear Jason, Faith and Family,
Emily touched my heart in so many ways..I was inspired by her story and testimony because I had been affected by the disease of cf through my sisters best friend. I knew what a constant struggle it was for her to stay healthy, all of the medication she had to take and all of the hospital stays she had to endure. She has taught me so much. I hope I will always keep those teachings close at hand. I have learned that each day holds its own promise, that you can love and live through the hardest of situations, that some where, some one has harder struggles than you. Emily lived life with her faith in front of her, so you could see it first and foremost, she never hid it, her love for God was her very reason for living and it was effident in the way she lived.
Faith, your momma was an amazing lady, she changed the lives of so many. She loved you with her whole heart, every fiber of her being. You are her miracle.
Jason, you are the very essence of what Jesus was talking about when He said love your wife as I have loved the church. You are unselfish and an example to other husbands. I hope you will find comfort in the fact that you made Emily's life here on earth so much easier in the way you cared for her.
I am so thankful Emily shared her life with us, her struggles and failures, her pain and hope, her love for the Lord, her unselfishness, gentlness, passion for all the people she held close to her.
There is no doubt that I will see her again one day and I look forward to that.
Love,
Heather Light
Through following the blog the past six months or so, I am thankful to God that I was able to see Emily display such trust in the Lord. Even yesterday in Psalm 33 I read, "For our heart is glad in him,
because we trust in his holy name." I saw through Emily's writing a joy that trumped the sorrow and pain of her suffering exactly because of her trust in the Lord. She suffered to the glory of God, and I am confident that God will continue to use her testimony of faith in the spread of his salvation and his glory. I pray that he brings comfort and healing to your family and that you take joy in gospel that sustained Emily.
Dear Faith,
I just want to let you know that your name is so fitting for you!!! I can still remember the day that your mom made the biggest impression on me. My Bible study group had been praying for your mom for a while. She was back in the hospital again and you were just a small baby. I wondered how she ever kept up with everything. Then one day my husband's left lung collapsed spontaniously at work, and he ended up spending a few days at the Cullman Regional Medical Center. I was pregnant at the time, and I stayed at the hospital with him day and night. The thought of him being in the hospital was so consuming. I knew God had it under control, but there were always these fleeting thoughts of wondering how I would manage without him.
I had heard your mom was just a few doors down, and so I decided to visit with her for a little. I did not know her very well at the time. I had just heard about her on the prayer list at church. When I stopped in, you, your mom, your dad, and a few of your relatives from out of town were all sitting in the room eating taco bell. We talked for a little while about trivial things and books that would be good to read while she was in the hospital. I could not believe how at peace your mom was. She had already been in the hospital that time for quite a while, but she never complained. Her FAITH in her Savior was so strong. I went back to my see husband with joy. It was so encouraging to see your mom so strong and couragous. It was obvious by the way she talked and smiled as we spoke that she had a hope that many people in her situation do not have. Your mom was a witness to every nurse, doctor, and human being she came in contact with...including me!!! As sad as I am that your mom is no longer with us, I can only imagine the joy that your mom has living every minute with Jesus. How blessed she is. Blessed!!!!!
This is what Psalm 84 says about the blessing of living in God's house..." How lovely is your your dwelling place, O Lord Almighty. My soul longs, and even faints to enter the courts of the Lord. With my whole being, body and soul, I will shout joyfully to the living God. Even a sparrow finds a home there, and the sparrow builds her nest and raises her young-at a place near your alter, O Lord Almighty, my King and my God! Blessed are those who can live in your house, always singing your praises. Blessed are those who are strong in the Lord, who set their minds on a pilgrimage. When they walk through the Valley of Weeping, it will become a place of refreshing springs, where pools of blessing collect after the rains! They will continue to grow stronger until each of them appears before God in Zion!! O Lord God Almighty, hear my prayer. Listen to me, O God of Jacob. O God, look with favor upon the king, our protector! Have mercy on the one you have anointed. A single day in your courts is better than a thousand anywhere else! I would rather be a gatekeeper in the house of my God than live the good life in the homes of the wicked. For the Lord God is our light and protector. He gives us favor and honor. No good thing will he withhold from those who do what is right. O Lord Almighty, blessed are those who put their faith in you!!!!"
I am praying that the same faith, hope, and love that your mom had durring her life, will be revealed in your life as you grow in your knowlege of God. I hope that he will be your strength, and your peace, and your joy as well!!!
Love,
Beth Kicker
I met Emily at a wedding. We both served as bridesmaids. I only knew her for that short time but fell in love with her sweet spirit. She was a peacemaker in times of girls being girls. She was so calming and friendly. I kept up with her story through our mutual friend and have prayed for her during many of the battles she faced. Though I do not know her all that well, I feel very fortunate to have met her and seen her faith and optimism. She will be missed but praise the Lord for no more suffering!
Amy Boatman
I didn't know Emily personally, but I knew of her struggle for many years. I am friends with Jim and Bonnie Newville and they shared her story with me. I have followed her website for quite a while. I can only say that she made a lasting impression in my life. Her courage, tenacity and faith was remarkable.I truly admired her. Please know that her family is in our prayers. Donny Wise
I did not know Emily personally , but I met her and Jason once as I was her nurse in the ER at Covenant. I was a fairly new nurse at the time and not well educated on CF or
lung transplants. She taught me a lot that day. I still remember her vividly, her smile, what room she was in, and some of the things we talked about. I was proud to start her IV on the first try and she made me feel really good about that. I was immediately struck by Emily's faithfulness, gentle spirit, joy, and patience though only taking care of her a short while. In the days to come I was compelled to research CF and educate myself on the condition and treatments. That research led me to becoming an avid follower of her blog. I privately laughed at her antics, felt joy for her accomplishments, cried for her fears. Her inspirational blog helped me through a divorce. I was truly sorrowful to hear of her passing as reading her blog was a daily blessing to me. She probably didn't even know how she continued to bless my life after our meeting briefly in the hospital almost two years ago. My prayers to the family. God bless. Sincerely, Lyndie Clack
DEAR MULLEY FAMILY, MY NAME IS AMY MARIE CARTER. U DON'T KNOW ME I DONT KNOW KATY EITHIER. I KEEP UP WITH HER BLOG THROUGH THE MOUNTAIN BROOK CF FOUNDATIN. I WAS BORN WITH CEREBRAL PALSY I HAVE BEEN IN A WHEELCHAR SENCE MY BIRTH. I ALSO HAVE REFLEX SYMPATHIC DYSTORPHY A PAIN SYDROME. HOWEVER ITS A SLAP ON THE ARM CAMPARED TO CYSTIC FIBROSIS. SORRY 4 YOUR GREAT LOSS. U WILL C EMILY AGAIN. SHE'S NOW IN THE HEAVENLY CHIOR SINGING WITHOUT COUGHING OR STURGLING TO BREATH. I WANT U TO KNOW I AM GOING TO FIGHT WITH U AND ALL OTHER C.F FAMILIES LIKE KATY'S AND LITTE DEFORD'S FAMILY DAUGHTER OF FRANK DEFORD WHO DIED WHEN SHE WAS 8 OF CF. I ROLLED IN MY POWER CHAIR IN HONOR OF ALEX DEFORD AND ALL OTHER CF FAMILIES IN THE GREAT STRIDES WALK IN HUNTSVILLE ALABAMA. I RAISED OVER A THOUSAND DOLLARS LAST YEAR. GOD BLESS YOU. AND CF WILL STAND 4 CURE FOUND ONE DAY.
Dear Jason, Faith and family,
My husband and I have known the Dirks' families for more than 25 years. My husband and I met when he was an instructor pilot at Reese AFB in Lubbock and I was in Physical Therapy school at Texas Tech. The last time we saw Emily, we were passing through Lubbock, we visited with the family and watched a video of Emily's graduation. I have kept up with family happenings over the years. When I heard that she had met and married you, Jason, I immediately gave thanks to God for His gift to Emily. You must be a special man to have been chosen by God to be Emily's husband. Her sweet, sweet spirit of faith was my first thought each time my mind thought of her over the years. My husband and I have 4 children, 3 of whom are profoundly deaf. They have received cochlear implants and all speak. Last Sunday, God began to tell me I needed to write a story for the inspirational newsletter I publish for our church. I said, "Ok God, but you have to tell me what to write." On Monday morning as I sat down with my journal, God put Emily's story on my heart and I wrote a tribute to her in the form of a devotional.I've rarely experienced God's power so strongly as when I wrote this. I would like to send it to you. It has already deeply touched many lives.
Lee and I are praying as are many others who read this story.
In His love,
Kelly
Jason: here is the story God led me to write. I hope you and your family feel it captures Emily's sweet spirit and deep, steadfast faith. My prayer is that it would bring honor to her as well as to our Lord. It has already caused many to look beyond their own situations into the eyes of their Lord who holds their lives in His hands.
Emily’s Invitation
Today as I write, families and friends are gathering in Lubbock, Texas to celebrate the life of Emily Dirks Mulkey. She died last week at the tender age of 26, her body ravaged and beaten by a disease with no cure, Cystic Fibrosis. My husband remembers sitting in her parents’ house at a Bible study as they announced they were pregnant with their first child. After the diagnosis, Emily’s mom gave up her dream to be a stay at home mom and went back to work as an LPN in order to provide the health care coverage their baby needed.
Emily’s case was severe and doctors didn’t believe she would live into her teenage years. Her early years consisted of frequent hospital visits and a vast array of medical interventions; however, she continued to reach for her dreams and at the age of 17, graduated from high school. It was unlikely she would marry due to her medical condition, but one day, God arranged a romantic interlude in the life of a man named Jason who fell madly in love with her. With great joy and celebration, they began a life together. She wouldn’t be able to have children the doctors said, but four years ago she became pregnant. She shouldn’t have the baby the doctors said, but three years ago, a beautiful baby girl named Faith entered this world.
A successful lung transplant prolonged her days and improved her quality of life…for a time. Last year as she faced the inevitable, she told her family, “This will probably be my last Christmas.” Even as Emily faced death, she continued to allow her sweet, gentle spirit of faith to be a fragrant aroma to those around her.
I am inspired by Emily today. Not because she faced death with courage, but because she faced life with courage. For most of her life she was faced with the thought that Cystic Fibrosis could take her life, but she refused to let the disease steal her dreams. I’m sure she had days when she was tempted to let self-pity have its way in her heart. But overall, she kept her eyes fixed on her God of all hope and today a little girl named Faith lives as a testimony to her mom’s faith and God’s faithfulness.
Some would say Emily died at the age of 26. I would say that Emily lived…really lived for 26 years on this earth. She lived with courage and faith, never allowing her disease to cripple her heart with resentment or steal the joy of living a life fully abandoned to her Lord. I wonder…can I say the same thing about myself? Am I living…really living or am I allowing my circumstances to hang like a death sentence over my heart? Too often I allow worry regarding my children to assault my faith. I allow my fears to keep me from pursuing my God-given dreams. I allow hurtful events and disappointments to steal my joy.
But not today…because today I have the picture of Emily’s example planted in the forefront of my mind. So today I choose to live…really live. Today I refuse self-pity and I choose joy. Today I refuse worry and fear and choose faith. Today I choose to be inspired by the power of my God displayed in the courageous life of a young girl named Emily.
Jesus makes it clear that He has given us the gift of life and the life He gives is meant to be richly abundant, full of freedom and joy…so, the question is, what will you do with your gift? How will you respond today to Jesus’ invitation, issued through the life of Emily, to live…really live? By Kelly Hall
Emily and I became friends at 5 years old when our biggest problems revolved around whose house we were going to play at that day. I still have the sprinkler that we spent so many summer days running through. I treasure the fact that despite my moving to New York 2 years into our friendship, we never lost contact 20 years later. It saddens me that I couldn't make it down there to see her, seeing each other again was always a "when it happens", not "if it happens." And it still will. We will see each other someday.
I am truly blessed to have had Emily as my first friend. She made a lasting impression on me in 2 years, and I am grateful for that.
To Emily's family, my thoughts and prayers are with you in this difficult time.
Much love,
Kristin Branche
There are so many different wonderful things to say about sweet Emily, so many precious moments that I am blessed to have shared with her. It is a bit overwhelming to me to attempt to share how Emily’s life has affected, changed, encouraged, and inspired my life….my life is forever touched by her friendship.
One of my favorite memories as I think back is of her telling me that she was pregnant. She was working…..my daughter and I had come in to eat lunch and as I finished checking out, she approached me with such joy and then she told me that she was expecting……she was so excited and I was a little shocked because she had recently been talking about wanting to adopt…..a little confused, I quickly could see the beauty of our Lord and his wonderful blessing to her……little did I know then, that I would have the joy of sharing in many more wonderful blessings with Emily.
As our Sunday school class planned a baby shower for Faith, I started to get to know Emily and Jason more and my admiration started to grow for them both.
After Faith’s birth, Emily’s hospital stays started to occur…….more frequent at times. I would go visit her and help with Faith when needed……such a privilege to be able to help her. I can’t help but SMILE as I think back to the numerous times that I brought her brownies or peanut butter cookies while she would be in the hospital (I did not know that she didn’t like them). Emily was much too kind and gracious to ever tell me that she didn’t like them…..she would kindly accept them and thank me for them. Finally, as I got to know her more, I stopped baking them for her.
Emily’s legacy will always be cherished by me and I find such comfort in knowing that Faith will know her Mama. My frequent prayer for Emily over the past few years was for God not to take her home until Faith had a chance to remember her mother……I would have much rather seen God wait much longer, but knowing that Faith will know her Mama is a cherished answer to my prayers. Emily touched so many lives during her short time here in Cullman, Alabama. She left a big impact on a small town. I would like to thank Jason and the family for making her service available LIVE via the webcast for us who could not be there.
Much love and deepest sympathy, Beth Landreth
I had the wonderful privilege of meeting Jason & Emily when they moved to Cullman, Alabama in 2005 to work at Chick-fil-A. I did not know what to expect from the “new people” coming in to run the store. It’s always a scary thing. The Mulkey families were a massive blessing to Cullman, to Chick-fil-A and also to me. I learned rather quickly that Jason and Emily were different. They were not your average couple. They worked together and always seemed to be there to help someone in any way, shape or form. They were genuine people that truly cared. Over the two year time span that I was blessed to work with them, they impacted my life incredibly. The jokes, the stories, the team outings, the work atmosphere...I loved it all. Emily taught me to never give up and trust God. Yes, I say I trust God and I do. But Emily taught me to REALLY trust Him. And believe that He is really looking out for me and for every need; to know that He is taking care of every situation. She taught me to fight and not doubt what God can do. I remember when we found out that baby Faith was growing in Emily. We all knew that was a complete miracle. Many times, I think back to that day and to the day that Faith was born and I always remember, nothing is too hard for God! With man it may be impossible, but not with God! Emily may not have always felt the greatest, but she always had such a great attitude. She could push all of her needs aside just to help someone else. Just to encourage someone else. She was so unselfish in everything. I want that kind of attitude! She has been an incredible example of what a leader and a servant should be. She has touched more lives in her lifetime than anyone will ever know. No, she wasn’t some big name, important person as our society would say; but in the eyes of those that knew Em, she was the most important, life-changing person we have ever known. I know that I am one of probably thousands that she has impacted. I strive to be like her. I want to affect and impact lives in an amazing way like she has. Jason and Faith, you are both constantly in my prayers. I love you guys.
-Bessie Caruso-
Dear Jason and Faith,
Ryan and I so miss being closer to you guys, especially now. I met Emily through the very treasured friendship between J and Ryan. And was amazed at how well she and I connected. She had such a welcoming spirit and so very content, never complaining or worried but always resting on the promises of God. And look how He blessed her - her life is such a testimony to His Faithfulness.
She always remembered our 1st son's death with a card each year - you have no idea how much that meant to me. Although I didn't get to see her often (usually only when the husbands were up to their elbows in Bronco grease), I sorely miss her. My oldest has asked many questions about Miss Emily in Heaven and I delight to think about how she would respond.
All our prayers and love
Ryan, Samantha & the boys
Dear Faith,
It was my desire, on the day your dad called me to tell me your mother had passed away, to have her blog printed and bound for you along with letters from those who knew your mother to you. I wanted for you to have this, to be able to know her and learn about who she was, and to treasure it all your life long. I wanted you to be able to see all that your mother was, and all that her God was to her and will be to you. I wanted you to have a glimpse of the faith that your mother had, the kind of person she was, and all that she found in her relationship with Jesus. Faith, now as the task is before me, I have found myself at a loss for enough words to tell you all of that. I am so grateful that your life will always be filled with an abundance of people who will have enough words and enough time to tell you all your life long all the things she'd want you to know. Your daddy is a blessed and loving man and I have no doubt that you will not lack for him telling you about your mother. She is a part of who he is. Your mom's family, her parents, siblings, and so many others as well as your dad's family will all have accounts of your mom and they'll be able to share with you how each of them was impacted by her in many different ways. Your mother's precious friend, Emily T, was given life-giving, anointed words to speak at your mother's memorial service and you will always have that precious account as well. Faith, your mom never tried to be anybody but herself, she never tried to be anyone's miracle, but in living her life, surrendering herself over and over again to Christ, she was a miracle in every sense. The miracle I witnessed was a faith against all odds. Faith, to others' eyes your mom had every reason to live a life of despair and discouragement. Now, she did experience those things on a regular basis, I cannot deny, but she LIVED a LIFE of HOPE and FAITH through every circumstance. Your mother was one unique young lady. She lived 26 full years and yet she lived at least 100 years of experiences. She was in the unique position of being given the raw choice on a regular basis of whether or not to depend on God fully. And she did so. And in so doing, she regularly saw the face of God, felt the comfort of God, and His deep and never-ending love. (continued below)
Your mother was blessed abundantly and she knew it. I remember her saying as she walked through Walmart one day with you, your dad, and your aunt Callie, that she was very much aware in that very simple moment of how blessed she was. She was amazed and thankful to still have your aunt Callie, her precious close sister, after her battle with brain cancer. She was amazed and thankful to have a husband who would marry a woman in her circumstances and who loved her and was committed to her through thick and thin. And, Faith, she was so amazed and so thankful to have you. A very precious gift from God. She had faced the reality and grieved the loss that she'd never be able to have a child of her own. And then she was given you. She knew you were a miracle and a precious gift and she didn't waste a single minute of her time with you. She was a very normal mother with normal feelings and challenges, but with an abnormal knowledge of what a gift you were to her. Faith, through you, God provided her with hope and joy and a reason to live when her circumstances seemed too hard to bear. Your mother did not lose heart easily, she did not complain lightly, she did not become discouraged easily, and yet she did experience all of those things. I'll never forget the times that she would come to our weekly Bible study (the MOMS group in Cullman) when she had just gotten out of the hospital, had very little strength, and yet was determined like a bulldog to come if she at all could make it. It was very important to her to come, connect with other moms, learn about God and share together. I'd see her in the hallway or entering the room and at these times I could see written all over her face how hard it was to endure and we'd embrace and she'd softly cry that she didn't understand why she had to go through this and why it was so hard. But, Faith, these moments didn't last long, she didn't wallow, she did allow herself to feel and express what she was feeling, but she always captured those thoughts and feelings and stood on His promises fully instead of letting discouragement get the best of her. She brought an easy, comfortable wisdom to our group that should have belonged to a much, much older woman. Yet she was young and fun all the same. Your mom was one of the easiest and truest people to be around. I would often visit your mom and dad in the hospital over those few years and I would try to bring a little something to brighten her day. I learned of her love for Sonic slushes (or Sonic anything) and Mike and Ikes! She was always so very appreciative and so caring of those who came to spend time with her. She loved to visit with people and she always turned the conversation back to the other person and what was going on with them over and over again. She was truly a selfless woman who loved others with the love that only God can give. Your mother sought the Lord and she found Him each day! She was always learning more about His character and His love for her and then sharing it with others. She was amazed by God on a regular basis. (continued below)
Oh Faith, how I loved your mother! And what can I say about your dad? Equally selfless, equally personable, fun, wise, loving, and a young man of great character. He loves his God, honors Him, and he loved your mother deeply and cared for her well. When he had to move back to Lubbock and leave your mom here for a while (in the care of other family), he was so torn. He knew he needed to work and that he could come back often until the transplant came, which they hoped would be very soon. Fairly soon, your mom had to go back in the hospital and she had to have a chest tube inserted, which was incredibly painful for her. Your dad could not stand that he had not been there with her in that moment and he rarely left her side after that. I remember talking to your dad and he regretted not being there for her so much. Faith, your dad and mom had a lot of fun together and he would put everything aside for her and was her very faithful companion through all of their life together. Faith, I hope you'll know that your mother's life had such an impact on so very many people, more than we'll ever know, and not a small impact, but a life-changing, lasting impact. She did on me. When I first met her, I knew she was about to be a mother and so I invited her to come to our MOMS group for support from other mothers and learning together about mothering for God's glory. She was unable to come for a while due to prenatal appointments, staying at home with her brand new baby, and then some struggles a little while after your birth, so I went to visit her in the hospital to help make the long days in the hospital a little shorter and to get to know her a little. God quickly showed me that there was a depth of relationship with Him there that I would greatly benefit to see. He encouraged me to spend time with her, for my own gain, and so I told your mom this when we had met to eat at Chick-fil-A when you were just a tiny baby. She so wanted to form a friendship based on who she was, not based on her circumstances and her disease. She never wanted pity and, I think, was delighted when someone wanted to get to know her for their own benefit, not for hers, if that makes any sense. She struggled with accepting help and yet, she did so graciously, for the sake of her family and for the sake of the person offering. She was so strong! I knew from the beginning that I would be able to minister to her in some ways and I wanted to minister to her in any way I could, and yet that she would minister to me in much greater ways than I could begin to imagine. So that, Faith, is who your mother was. She wouldn't have traded what God had for her, she knew His plans, struggled with them yet embraced them as His best for her, trusting Him completely with her very life. And she lived that life for Him and for her family, to the fullest. I learned so much from her and I am challenged daily by her sweet, unassuming example. You, sweet one, will have your own shoes to fill, not hers, but you will benefit greatly from her example and her legacy, just as I have. Precious one, always trust God completely, be very vulnerable and honest with Him, learn about Him from His Word, and love Him as He has loved you. And, thank you, for sharing your mother with us. Love, Carrie
Emily, even though I never had the privilege to meet you, I have followed your story for a long time. It has been a story of inspiration and love and hope. I know your mom and brother and Emily Tardy, but through your blog, I feel that I've gotten to know you, too. I have the deepest admiration for your husband and a soft spot in my heart for your precious daughter. Most of all, following your story has brought me closer to Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord. I look forward to meeting you someday in your Heavenly Home. Amy Eaton
Post a Comment