Friday, June 5, 2009

Reflecting over 1 year....

It's hard for me to even put into words the journey I have been on since I got that call on June 8, 2008. I got that call around 9:00 pm to tell me that they had a possible match, new lungs for me. I went into surgery around 7:00 am and 9 hours later for the first time I no longer had CF lungs. From that moment it has been quite a journey of ups and downs and as I have read over all that was written on my blog during that time, I'm just amazed again at where the Lord has brought me. Your words of encouragement, prayers, cards, meals and love over this past year have been a blessing beyond words for us. Since it's difficult to put into words all the emotions of this year I thought I would just share some videos and pictures so that you can PRAISE the Lord with us as we celebrate 1 YEAR!


My journey & recovery with new lungs.....



Seeing Mama after surgery from Emily Mulkey on Vimeo.




Taking my first laps from Emily Mulkey on Vimeo.




Ringing the Bell from Emily Mulkey on Vimeo.



These are pictures of some of the wonderful opportunities I have been able to do and be apart of with my new lungs!


This are some verses that I wrote down during my time of waiting and recovery and how the Lord spoke peace to me through them.

"Before they call I will answer, while they are still speaking I will hear". Isa. 65:24
(I know the Lord was speaking to his people here in Isaiah but in 2007/2008 those words gave me hope that even before the transplant coordinator called me He had already put in motion His perfect plan. He had already answered before I ever picked up the phone)

"You restored me to health and let me live. Surely it was for my benefit that I suffered such anguish". Isa. 38:17
(There was a reason I waited a year for these lungs and went through some difficult times and though I hate to suffer I am thankful for what I have learned and only pray I come out not only with healthy lungs but a changed daughter of the Lord. He never wants my suffering to be in vain, thank you, Lord!)

"The God who gives life to the dead and calls things that are not as though they were. Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed and so became the father of many nations, just as it had been said to him..........21) being fully persuaded that God had power to do what he had promised". Romans 4:17-21
(At times it felt like we were running out of time but this verse kept coming back to me that when it seemed like there was no hope for Abraham and his wife to have a child because of their age that he just continued to put his hope in the Lord and believe He could do anything! That sometimes the things we consider dead or hopeless are the very things God brings to life and brings hope when there is none to be found. My husband continued to share this very thing with me when I felt like I just couldn't do it anymore)


It has not been an easy road and continues to be a daily balancing act to keep my body healthy and try to find solutions for the many side effects from the drugs. I have to take it one day at a time and just be thankful for every moment I have. I know this is a long post but I wanted to share some thoughts over the past year and to say THANK YOU again for your love, support & prayers!

7 comments:

susan said...

Em-so good to hear from you and I hope your health holds steady. The videos and pics were an emotional ride and I can hardly believe it has been a year but praise God it has been a year! We continue to pray for strength and answers to the side effects but thank God for the technology to be able to help you live life to the fullest. You have come so far and continue to help so many through your journey. Stay strong in Him. Love, susan and wes

Katey said...

Congrats on 1 year.....YAY!! I know God has truly blessed you and I hope he continues to do so. I'm so glad we have become friends! I hope to see you again soon (I think I'm going to end up at clinic on the 24th of this month. They are making me stay until Tuesday next week!! Love you girl...may you continue to do amazing things with your life. I know your 2nd year will be MUCH MUCH better...promise!!!

Lynn said...

Emily,

I so appreciate your update. I have been keeping up with you and Jason a bit through your blog and had been worndering how you were and praying for you. Your life and testimony bring such joy and hope in Christ.

In Him who is faithful,

Lynn (rhodes) Shargel (an old HS friend of Jason's)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the 1 year anniversary. It has gone by fast. We miss you and look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Cullman! Beth L.

Anonymous said...

Happy new birthday!!! What a year - huh? Know that we are celebrating with you and continue to keep you in our prayers. You are such an inspiration --- I do alot less complaining about minor coughs and sniffles!!!
Love you girl!!
Phyllis

Shay said...

Wow! It's been a year? Amazing! I loved the pics. Brought back so many great memories. Makes me really miss ya'll :( So thankful for your journey and God's amazing work in all of it. You are such a beautiful daughter of your Father!

Anonymous said...

Em, I can not believe that it has been a year. Wow! So much has happened in that time. I could pick up a phone too....oh so much to tell you. We have been crazy here too. I will try to get a new video posted on facebook. Hopefully we will talk soon.