Saturday, September 20, 2008

A Hero flies Home

We all have people we look up too, our heroes. They inspire the lives of all they have touched but it's also the legacy they leave behind that makes them the cherished hero. One of Jason's hero's, his Papa, Merrill Johnson, died last night after being in the hospital 6 months fighting to recover from his heart valve replacement. We are thankful he no longer is hurting but it's always hard to let go.
Jason always looked up to Papa. He was a true Texan from his cowboy hat down to his boots. He was a welder most of his life but above all he was a devoted family man with a kind and gentle spirit. Papa, you will be dearly missed and always remembered.

Some GREAT memories; Papa burgers, Papa dollar, super jalp, shooting the left ear of a locust, first snort of beer, swing set, tree house, horny toads, turbo fan, aggie gadgets, firearms, jerky treats, hermit crabs he dearly loved, Pete the cat and great stories and sayings that always made you laugh.


I remember Faith was crying and Papa seemed to think us, women were not doing a good enough job of keeping her happy. So, he happily held her and they had a good bonding moment although it did not last too long. (I guess nobody could please her that day)

A special Papa tradition is giving his grandchildren or in this case his great-grandchildren a "Papa Dollar". Faith was only 2 months old when she first met Papa Johnson and received her treasured dollar.

We will be heading to Clifton, TX for the funeral. Please keep Jason's family in your prayers, thank you.

"Death has been swallowed up in victory. Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting? The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But, thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:55-56

Christ's victory over death gives us hope that we who are in Christ will live with Him forever!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mulkey Family,

We are saddened to hear of Papa Johnson's passing.

I remember him being the first true 'Texan' I ever met when Jason and I travelled to Texas in high school. Papa was a guy who wore cowboy hats and ate salsa on his eggs...things I'd never seen before!

He took lots of time with us and I remember eating at 'Bob's Better Burger' and staying up late watching David Lettermen with him. He also drilled my sling into my .22 rifle, which I still have and use today.

Thanks papa for some wonderful memories and great times in Texas.

We will be praying for Mimi Johnson and the rest of the family.

Rest in peace.

Darcy

Anonymous said...

Em, We will be in prayer for Jason and family. Have a safe trip and be careful! We will all meet him in heaven and get to hear all those stories and more. Stay strong. In Him, susan and wes

Phyllis said...

Thank you so much for such a wonderful tribute to our Papa Johnson. You captured the essence and spirit of who he is so beautifully. See you at "the Gap".
Love you,
Aunt Phyllis

Anonymous said...

Mimi said....

What a wonderful tribute to Dad. How we miss him, but you certainly captured the essence of this remarkable husband, father, grandfather, friend. It is such a sourse of comfort to know he is now in perfect peace with our heavenly Father.

I can't begin to express how much it meant having you there at his funeral. He always felt so blessed to have such special grandkids and great-grandkids.

Phyllis is helping me deliver this response...being the not-so-techy person that I am. Hope it gets through....

Love,
Mom