Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Living on the Receiving End

Asking for help has never been my specialty but I guess the Lord thought I needed to learn what it was like to be on the receiving end.

It's hard at times for me to accept the limitations due to my CF . I will push myself to the limit before resigning and this last year and a half have been challenging in many ways but the most frustrating is having to accept the fact that I can not do certain things anymore. Therefore my need for physical support and help have greatly increased. Being young but feeling like you have a 100 year old body causes conflicting emotions. Most CF people I know try to blend in the best they can with their disease and I am no exception. (Not going to tell you the tricks I use to accomplish this task, hehe) However, I have not being able to "hide" as many things anymore from the public and God has humbled me in many ways. The first time I went out in public with my O2 was like going on a first date knowing you had this HUGE zit on your face! Of course, hoping your date won't notice and hoping even more he won't say anything about it, you go anyway because there is nothing you can do about it. I get the normal looks and you can see the question on their face," Why is such a young woman wearing oxygen? I wonder what her story is?" That is just one example of the changes my health has brought this last year, but with that said I am thankful to have had the support from family and friends during these times.

God allows us seasons to give, bless others (that's my favorite season) but then He also allows us the opportunity to be blessed by others and to receive support when we need it most. I still tend to get frustrated when I can't physically help others right now but I just pray the Lord will give me the opportunity to give back to all who have blessed me and my family in so many ways during this time. I am once again struck with the reality of what I am waiting for, and that is waiting to receive new lungs. A humbling thought to think someones family who don't know you will give you the gift of a second chance at life. Isn't that the same amazing picture of what Christ did for us on the cross. Before we ever knew Christ or knew we needed saving He made the choice to give up His Son so that we might have life. So, whether it's needing oxygen, cleaning my house, going to the store, helping with Faith, accepting Christ as my Savior, or just daily strength from the Lord to fight today, I am on the receiving end in every aspect I can think of. However small it may seem I want to say THANK YOU to everyone who has helped us-

THANK YOU!!!

~For all the meals we have received

~The ladies who cleaned my house

~Have sent flowers and cards

~For the anonymous card that would come with money

~Helping out with Faith

~Sitting with us in the ER and visiting us in the hospital

~Phone calls & e-mails

~And of course your on going prayers and love

It has all been greatly appreciated! As I continue to learn more of what it means to be on the receiving end I do know that God has a purpose for every season of life I go through and I hope not to miss what He longs to show me through this time.

4 comments:

Sharlie Kaltenbach said...

Beautiful words, perfectly expressed. Thank you. We love you.

Anonymous said...

Thank you....
Love, Beth

Emily T said...

I'm so glad you posted this and your thoughts came together so well. It is a privilege for me to walk beside you and see all that you are learning and maturing in. As a fellow hard-to-receiver, I am constantly challenged and encouraged by your journey. I would add though, that your cup is overflowing with all that you have received and it does give to those around you and blesses them. What's cool about that, is that it doesn't have to do with any effort of your own, but by simply receiving the love of Christ, HE blesses others through you. I love you sweet friend. Keep your eyes fixed on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith.

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily. Thank you for your words of faith. You are such an inspiration to me. I am reminded of my mother in law when I think of you. She, who has a desire to die and has tried to take her life on more than one occasion, makes me so angry because there are people like who have such a desire to LIVE and push each day to keep going. I wish she could see you. Thank you for who you are and for blessing us with your testimony.
Heather