Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Rescheduled & Answers

Here is the update from today:

They have rescheduled the tracheotomy until Thursday as the doctor that they want cannot do it until then. Emily seems to be responding well to the new feedings and there are some small signs that her kidneys are at least doing something...these are the praises. Emily is now pretty medicated again in order to try and give her some comfort and rest. The vent is now back to almost full capacity as things deteriorated yesterday with very high respiration numbers (not good).

And now to answer some of your questions. Let me start off by saying that I'm glad to keep you informed as best as I can so that you can be praying...although I am no expert in any of this. After walking so closely with Emily through life over the past 15+ years and then through the last several years of giving birth to Faith and the lung transplant, I know how precious she is and how many people love her and her family and have been faithful to pray for her. I do not have any medical background besides what I have learned on my own and through Em about CF, lung transplant, and what is currently going on. I also know how difficult it is for those who are caring for her daily to keep everyone updated personally so my hope is to relieve them of the responsibility so they can concentrate on Emily.

1. Is this all because of the swine flu? This current hospital stay does stem from Emily contracting the Swine Flu although she had other issues like anemia that were causing her some problems as well. With a lung transplant, Emily's respiratory system is extremely vulnerable and with the many anti-rejection meds she is on, her immune system is very weak. So, how you or I might feel with the common cold could set Emily back drastically as her body has a much harder time fighting off the infection. Since this flu was pretty difficult, it took a lot for her body to work to fight and it basically wore her out and her lungs could just not keep up on their own.

2. What is the prognosis? This question is really too difficult to answer right now. I think we all hoped that she would just need to be on the vent to help her recover and fight off the flu, then recover and return to life as normal. She has now been in the hospital for almost 5 weeks and will be on the vent for 4 weeks if they do they trach on Thursday. Emily has been sedated for most of that, which means she has not moved out of the bed for that entire time and has not been doing many of the daily routine functions like walking, eating, etc that she needs to be in order to move on. Her x-rays of her lungs still do not look great and she is on dialysis. In many ways, the prognosis looks...well, bleak...but it is just too early to tell. It is going to be a long road, a long stay, but Emily is a fighter. She has been all her life. She has so much to live for...her God, her husband, her daughter, her family & friends, and her desires and dreams for the life that Christ has given her. I know she desires to honor Him above all things. She has never given up and will never give up until Christ calls her home.

3. Has she been responsive in the last few days?
More so than she has been. They reduced her meds drastically but since her kidneys were not working, they did not completely wear off. She was shaking and nodding her head to yes and no questions, squeezing hands, and showing emotion.

4. Are they concerned about brain damage? Was she without oxygen for any length of time?
Let me be very clear in saying NO to both of these things. I have not heard nor do I believe that either one of these are likely. Emily was on oxygen as soon as she needed it in the very early days of being in the hospital in Lubbock and the damage to organs that they are concerned about involve the lungs, liver, and kidneys.

5. Are her kidneys functioning? Do they believe they will function completely again?
Emily is still on dialysis and all numbers have not shown much improvement yet. However, there have been some signs that they might be functioning at a very small level. The initial report, which has not been changed at this point, is that they think that the major kidney problems are temporary due to the high levels of meds that were going through her body that had been taxing her kidneys very heavily. I think this is still a big question mark and an item for continued prayer.

6. How does Emily feel? Obviously, physically...not so good. I don't know how she feels emotionally because I can't ask her but I have a good idea. I can't speak for her so don't take this as gospel but I imagine she feels exhausted, discouraged, sad, frustrated, weak, and is missing her daughter but at the same time humbled by your prayers, grateful for your friendship and love, and anxious to feel better so that she can continue to live life to the fullest and bless other people. It is always hard for Em to be the one who has "needs". She so desires to encourage, love, and serve others. She also trusts completely in Jesus Christ and finds eternal hope in the truth of His Word. Janna and I were emailing about her and I think what she said sums this up perfectly: "My only comfort today was thinking what Emily would say, that we serve a mighty God who is mighty to save and has, by his grace, given Emily new life in Jesus who is our hope. She is a shining example that God does not promise ease but that He is Faithful." Well said, Janna.

7. Does she know anything? Yes. When she has been on the lower dosages of meds (at the beginning of being on the vent and in the last few days) she has definitely been more aware. I'm not sure what she is retaining and all that she is understanding as the drugs do have an amnesia effect but for certain moments she does know things. When I visited her, I don't even know if she knew that I was there but I talked to her like she did. I doubt she will remember it but you just never know how the spirit, mind, body connection works in each moment. The hard part of the last few days is that she has been crying a lot. Outside of the physical healing that she needs, pray for her emotionally.

8. What is the status of her lungs since she is going on a trach? Why are they keeping her on the vent? Basically, the few days that things progressed and the goal of getting of the vent was within reach seemed to support that her lungs were doing better. However, they chose not to extubate due to the complications with the kidneys and the feeding tubes which made her more unstable. It is hard to know at this point, I believe the doctors don't even know, why her lungs continue to struggle. It could still be lingering effects of the flu, or irritation from the tube...who knows at this point. As much as the trach is not ideal, at this point, it should allow her to at least get off the sedation meds and begin some physical rehab. As updated today, she still needs the vent to help her breathe.

I hope I've helped to answer and clear up some things. I'm not 100% sure that I said everything correctly but I hope it helps. Emily's life is a testimony of God's amazing love and faithfulness and I know it would bring her joy to know that you are pursuing a relationship with Jesus Christ, who died for you and rose again to give you new life in Him, by taking any and all questions about her life and yours to Him. He can handle our fears, our anger, our hopes, our pains, and our pleading requests. Thankfully He is in control...not the swine flu, failing kidneys, struggling lungs, or a discouraged spirit.

Matthew 11:28-30 28 "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

8 comments:

Katey said...

Thank you SO much for answering these questions!! We all will continue to pray! God is definitely working in her! And I know that getting a trach will allow her to begin rehab and hopefully make baby steps to recovery!!!

Thanks again for your updates...I would go crazy without them :)

I've been in her position before and know part of what we feel emotionally in that position! So I'm praying specifically for some of those things!

Please let me know if I can do anything!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for answering all of these questions.......it helps a bunch. Beth L.

Carrie Woods said...

Emily T! Thank you for answering these questions and thank you for all that you do for the Mulkeys and thank you, thank you, for continuing to put your hope in Christ and making that very clear in this post!

Unknown said...

Thank you for everything, the updates, answered questions, love and support you give Emily and most of all your faith in our mighty God. We are continuing to pray for everyone. In Christ, Robin & Derek

susan said...

Emily T. thanks so much for your updates, we hang on them each day!
We continue to pray for Em and the family. How is Faith doing?
You are so right, we trust in a mighty God who continues to cover us with His hope, love and mercy! In Him, susan and wes

Anonymous said...

Thank you Emily T. Each day I get on the computer the first thing I say is, "I wonder how Emily is doing today?" and I run to her site. Its so precious to hear the song, In my Daughters Eyes and see the beautiful pictures of Em, Jason & Faith on this web site. Your such a dear friend to handle all of this and I know its hard for you giving the intimate details of Em's struggle to get through this hurdle. God has truly blessed Em with a wonderful friend in you.
Thank you for sharing your heart with us. We claim victory in Christ!! Glenda & Bill Dickey

Heather Light said...

Thank you Emily for answering these questions. I appreciate it so much. I check her site at least once a day to see how she is doing. We are still praying and will continue to do so. Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

When I am at a loss for words and have experienced overwhelming distress , the Lord comforts me with the words from His Prayer The Lord's Prayer.
and the 23rd Psalm ..... May this prayer and these beautiful scriptures bring peace and comfort to everyone praying and especially to the family who is so emotionally involved in this difficult time.....I think of Emily everyday .. These scriptures I pray everyday......May you know God is with you during this difficult time...