Wednesday, January 27, 2010

January 27, 2010

I'm not sure how best to share this with all of you as my hands are shaking so badly and it is the last thing that I would want to be saying.

Emily passed away and went to be with Jesus this morning, January 27, 2010.

My heart wants to stop right there but my head tells me to keep going.

January 11th (Monday): Emily went into the hospital in Lubbock with pneumonia.
January 18th (Monday): Moved to the ICU because she couldn't breathe very well and was panicky.
January 20th (Wednesday): After being on antibiotics, she just couldn't kick it and was intubated and placed on the ventilator.
January 23rd (Saturday): She had some swelling in her face and the team @ UMC felt that it would be better if she was transferred to UAB in Birmingham. The thought they had tried everything they could do and in case they were missing something, they suggested she be moved. The life flight picked her up around 5 AM and transported her to Birmingham.

Once at UAB, she was responding pretty well overall. She had issues with a blood clot in her arm from her pic line, some digestive issues, some bleeding in her stomach related to an ulcer, but as far as her progression on the vent, she was doing really well. Her oxygen saturation and blood gasses were all heading in the right direction.

January 27 (Wednesday-Today):
12:00 AM Midnight: Emily's heart rate dipped really low (below 60 beats per minute) and although the doctors were not too concerned, Jason was, as Emily usually runs a pulse of 90-110. So, this was really low for her.
3:00 AM: Jason woke up to find 3 nurses in the room. Emily's heart rate was now over 200 beats per minute and her blood pressure was spiked extremely high. The emergency crash team was called in and was able to regulate both her heart rate and her blood pressure. Although a very intense time period, she settled back down.
~7:00 - 8:00 AM: Jason thought he might have slept a little more and woke to a nurse checking Emily's vent settings. Everything looked good. The nurse then did a routine check of her pupils and they did not dilate or respond to light. The immediately took her for a CAT scan of her head and found a large brain hemorrhage.

At this point, they brought in a neurologist to do a function test to test the activity of the brain. They tested each region with no response. The final portion of the test looked into the brain stem and tested her breathing, swallowing and gag reflex...again, with no response.

~11:00 AM Emily was pronounced brain dead. Jason and his Dad were invited into the room to say goodbye. Jason was able to be with her for about 10-15 minutes while she was still on the vent but knew she was already gone. At that point, he asked for them to take her off the vent. She did not take another breath on her own after it was removed. Her heart beat for a couple more minutes and he stayed with her until her heart stopped beating.

The doctors do not know why all of this happened. It does not really make sense and it could be a number of things. They have several theories but all they know for certain was that the spike in blood pressure is what was the ultimate cause. Since she was on blood thinners for the blood clot, they think when her blood pressure spiked, that it put too much pressure on her vessels and a vein in her brain ruptured. It was not the blood clot. But they are not sure why the blood pressure originally spiked. After the 3 AM incident, all of her other settings (heart rate, breathing, oxygen, vent settings) were all completely normal. The vent was what was keeping her alive.

Jason is currently driving back from Birmingham to Lubbock with his Dad. They should arrive around 4 AM tomorrow morning. Stephanie was supposed to fly to Birmingham today but will remain in Lubbock. Jason is making plans to have Emily's body brought back to Lubbock and will be making funeral arrangements tomorrow. Please check back and I will post them once I know what they are.

Please be praying for Jason and his Dad's safe travel as well as his conversation with Faith about her sweet Momma who will not be coming home. Emily is in heaven breathing in the sweet aroma of her Savior. Please direct your prayers for the loved ones that she has left behind. Jason as always is a strong husband and a loving Daddy. Pray for him as he makes decisions and leads his family. Pray for Emily's family who was not able to be with her in her final days on this earth. And pray that God would be glorified in her death and in our grieving and celebrating her precious life.

Psalm 71:20-21 20 You who have made me see many troubles and calamities will revive me again; from the depths of the earth you will bring me up again. 21 You will increase my greatness and comfort me again.

I found this over the weekend and when I posted this on her blog, I wanted it to be true on this earth. In the depths of my heart, I think I knew that it was going to be true in heaven rather than on earth.

Now she is revived. Now she is brought up. Now she is comforted. Again and forevermore. Thank you Jesus.

37 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Emily T.

Love, Beth Landreth

susan said...

Praise God for the healing! In Him susan and wes

Hannah said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with Jason, Faith, and the rest of Emily's family and friends. Praise to the Ultimate Healer that Emily is now at peace and with Him in Heaven.

Love, Justin and Hannah Sparks

Unknown said...

Ginny and I are praying for you Emily T, as well as Jason, Faith and the rest of the Dirk's. Your mom called with the news. While it is sad for us - Emily's race is over... she is home! Praising her King face to face!
- Paul & Ginny

Katey said...

I'm not even sure what to say...very shocked and definitely didn't expect it. I know she is breathing easy in Heaven with our Lord and Savior, but I'm still crying and shaking, not believing she is really gone. I'm so sorry Emily T for your loss. I will be praying for Jason and Faith especially, as well as the rest of the family and friends. Please let me know of an arrangements, as I might want to make a trip out there to attend if possible. Thanks....and although I'm very upset....I'm very glad she is now at peace.

Cara said...

Breathe easy, Emily.

Carrie B. said...

Praying and thinking of you all. I can only imagine the smile on sweet Emily's face as she was welcomed by the Lord.


Love,
Carrie B.


2 Thessalonians 3:16
Now may the Lord of peace himeself give you peace at all times in every way. The Lord be with you.


Philippians 4:4-7
Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

bankrgrl said...

Breathe easy, Emily. I didn't know you, but I have followed your blog through Katey's posts and stories about you. I know that you will be greatly missed by all of your friends and family, but also that are peaceful and well taken care of.

Anonymous said...

I followed this story through Eric Randolph. I am saddened and shocked by this news. But I know Jesus is the great physician and Emily will never be sick again.

She is glorified and healed forever.

Jane said...

Thoughts and prayers are with you.

Duke said...

Emily and her faith in God has touched the lives of countless people. We will miss her tremendously but also glad she is in our Saviors arm breathing freely and effortlessly for the first time.

Love Duke, Cheryl, Courtney and Caleb

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to Jason and Faith. I know there will be much sadness in the days ahead. But, I also know that Emily left her beautiful touch on many, many families and friends.

She never lost her love of God. She gave herself totally to Him. And, her spirit will always remain in those who were privileged to know her.

My heart will also be with Stephanie and her family, Callie, Tyler, Ryan and Tim. You taught Emily to be strong and courageous in the Lord.

Sincerest and deepest sympathy,
Alvin and Kathy May

Anonymous said...

God saw her growing weaker, a cure not meant to be, so He put his arms around her and whispered "Come with me". Now she is free of life's pain and travails, and is happy at rest in His heavens, where perfect love prevails.

She touched more lives and hearts than you will ever know. God used her well and she served Him well.

Carrie Woods said...

We'll be friends forever, my sweet Em. Thank you for blessing me over and over again. Thank you for your perserverance, your tremendous faith, your easy way of glorifying God through your every sweet breath. I'm lifting your family and all your friends up and I will forever pray for Faith, that she will grow to know you somehow and find peace and joy in the story and testimony of your life. God has great plans for that little girl! And, Jason, what a blessing you have been to so many. I'll never forget the testimony you've been to me of love, sacrifice, unselfishness, tenderness, and joy through all things. You loved her greatly and she knew it. What an awesome, strong, wise, tender, and loving father Faith has in you. She is in good hands. We love you both.

Anonymous said...

Emily's courage, faith, and love for Jesus, family, and friends left a tremendous impact on the lives of many others. Cindy Navarro

Anonymous said...

I never knew Emily, but she touched and inspired me. I will meet her for the first time in Heavenone day
! She taught so many lessons to us here on earth. Prayers for the peace that passes understand, that only Christ our Lord and Savior can give to all her family left to cherish her memory.
Belle Chatelain
(Alex, LA)

Anonymous said...

I am so so shocked and saddened at this news. Remember, as I've said a thousand times, I'll say once more... I didn't take care of just Emily, I took care of you all. Some patients and families touch me in ways that are never revealed to me. You are among them. Rest easily now, my sweet Emily. If your sickness was the only path we we could cross on, I'll never ever regret it. All my love, your devoted UMC MICU RN.

sylecia said...

Wish I had gotten to know Emily better while she was here in Lubbock. She just radiated the beauty of the Lord. Praying for peace for Jason, Faith and her family.

The Bishop said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Bishop said...

Through this whole thing, my wife and I have been praying for you guys. We would watch for Jason and Emily to make it into worship, or hope to run into them at the store. We continue to pray for you, Jason, Faith, and the rest of the family. If there's anything you need, we're here.

Love & Prayers,
Jason & Caryn Bishop

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers are with Jason and Faith, along with the rest of the family. I was so sorry to read this this morning when I did my daily check of my blogs. I will be praying for your family.

Unknown said...

I pray for God's comfort to engulf all her family and friends, for peace and strength. I cry for the lose of a wonderful God fearing woman, who was a light in my life when I needed it, but I thank God for Emily's complete healing in heaven.

Ashley said...

Sweet Emily, I am still in shock and so sad. What a beacon of light you were for so many. I keep thinking about how wonderful it must be in the presence of God and breathing with perfect lungs. You will be missed!

Anonymous said...

So sad for us; so happy for Emily.
I love you Stephanie!
Diana F

JENNIFER said...

One of the few, precious friends that was just as beautiful on the inside, as she was on the outside! Her sweet, smiling face will be missed by her friends at Northbrook. A woman of strong faith and courage, who is now at home with her Heavenly Father. What a blessing to have known Emily!
-Jeni McCluskey

Sam and Mandy said...

My thoughts and prayers are with the whole family. She has fought a good fight and she now gets to live in peace with her Savior.

Amber said...

My thoughts and prayers are with sweet Emily's family and friends. She was such a strong, sweet lady and it was a blessing to be one of her nurses when she welcomed Faith into the world. May God provide comfort and peace to the family.
~Amber Heaton

Anonymous said...

Yesterday my heart’s sadness couldn’t bear to type more than a simple Thank You to Emily T. for her tender words. However, I want to say a little more……Emily touched my life in so many ways over the past 4 years. So many lovely memories flood my heart……from her excitingly telling me that she was pregnant to my last visit with her this past fall at UAB. Her brief time in Cullman touched so many lives. My heart will always remember her impact on my life and my faith! Love and prayers to her precious family, Beth Landreth

Juniper said...

My family's thoughts, prayers and love is being sent your way. We may have never met you, but we love you. May God deliver peace and comfort during this difficult time.

Heather Light said...

What an amazing heritage Faith has, having Emily for a mommy. Jason, how blessed you were to have Emily in your life. Thank you for being such a Godly man and a wonderful husband to Emily. Your faith and dedication to your family has truly inspired me and Kelly. Thank you for sharing so openly with us all. Thank you for sharing Emily with us. The impact she had on my life and all the others will never be forgotton. I am so thankful she is in Heaven now with her Father whom she served so well~I love you Emily. I am so thankful to have known you and been able to share in your life.

Collette Larsen said...

Emily and her family have touched so many and made us all more grateful for every moment. She has earned her wings. Our love and prayers are with her family.

Love,

Collette Larsen

Anonymous said...

Emily radiated such exuberance for life and faith in Christ. She touched more people than we will ever know. I'm sure she is in a beautiful place, without the pains of her earthly body. Our prayers are for all of you who have lost an earthly angel. May you be blessed as you go through this trial and remember her gentleness and kind spirit. Know that she is with us in spirit and we will see her in glory with the Lord.
Caryn Mears

Shay said...

So precious. Sweet Emily. Oh, how she loved her Father. Praise Him now for her new body. She was such a testament of His love. Her perseverance, trust, faith, and strength will forever impact my life. Being with her always pushed me to be a better mother, friend, daughter, sister, wife, and servant of the Lord. I am forever grateful to have know her. Jason, you are a man of courage, wisdom, compassion, and love. You were so good to Emily. And what a wonderful father you are to little Faith.

We have been so blessed, beyond words, to have shared in so many special times with you....pregnant with Faith, her birth, Will's birth, selling your house, the call for the transplant, and so many more.

You all will stay close to our hearts always. We love you.

anne said...

I am so sad but know that Emily is overjoyed at meeting her Savior who has ended her suffering and gave her a new body.

I will be praying for Jason, Faith and the rest of the family and friends Emily has left behind.

You will meet again!

Anonymous said...

Even now Emily touches the lives of many. I am blessed to have helped care for Emily during her stay at UMC. Praise God for all of you! Having such faith and Praising God even in this hard time. I pray for you all. May God continue to bless all of you. For Emily continues to impact people's lives, including mine.

Anonymous said...

I am so blessed to have known sweet Emily. She was an extraodinary, beautiful, God loving woman. Her faith and trust in Christ has forever impacted my life. She will be greatly missed, but how wonderful that we can rejoice in knowing that she is now at peace w/ her Lord and Savior.

My thoughts and prayers are w/ Jason, Faith and Emily's family. May God bring you peace and comfort during this time.

Love, Rachel Cleek

beth kicker said...

"I want you to know what will happen to the Christians who have died so you will not be full of sorrow like the people who have no hope. For since we believe that Jesus died and was raised to life again, we also believe that when Jesus comes, God will bring back with Jesus all the Christians who have died...For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. So comfort and encourage one another with these words."

1 Thessalonians 4:13-18