Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Traditions!!!

Well, you never know what a day or night will bring and last night brought some crazy events. I got up around 3 a.m. with my head pounding and the pain so intense I thought my head was going to come off! The nurse checked my blood pressure and it was sky high at 188/116 (normal is 120/80). So over the next 6 hours they tried to bring my blood pressure down with medicine but the craziness thing about it was that standing up was really the only thing that would give me some relief. I would stand up and my pressure would drop to 100/90 but within seconds of sitting back down it would jump right back up again. So my sweet husband held me up over an hour so I could get some relief. By 9 a.m. they gave me some strong pain medicine and things were starting to level out again. Needless to say my blood pressure has been all over the place, it was way too low when I came into the hospital (68/43) to (188/116). There are a couple of reasons why it might have jumped so high-1) Dehydrated, because they gave me lots of fluids and then gave me Lascaux to remove the excess fluid off my lungs or 2) one of my ant-rejection meds is way off.
His mercies are new every morning though and praise the Lord my oxygen level has gone back up into the nineties, breathing on my own. My lungs are sounding better and my cough is getting less as well. I have felt your many prayers and I thank you so much!

OK, despite my sickness I am very excited about my favorite time of year.......CHRISTMAS!

Although we should always reflect on the birth of Christ and what an amazing gift that has been given to us, it is a great time of year to celebrate! I could name lots of things that I love about Christmas but I really enjoy the different traditions that families do together. Since Faith is getting older and starting to understand more I really want to start doing some meaningful things with her during this special time. So.......I would love for you to share some of your favorite traditions, memories, ideas or fun things you do with your families during this season.

I look forward to reading some great ideas!!! Hope you all are doing well. Love ya

7 comments:

Carrie Woods said...

We don't have a lot of Christmas traditions, but a few that we enjoy. Each year when we decorate the tree, we have hot cocoa afterwards and Shawn reads 'Twas the Night Before Christmas'. Also, we have (had) an ornament with Ava's handprint that was done when she was 2. A tradition has started with that on its' own that each year she checks to see how much bigger her hand is this Christmas compared to the little handprint on her ornament. Unfortunately, it got broken on Sunday. I cried and had really difficult time getting it under control. My reaction really surprised me!! So, that tradition has kind of 'bitten the dust' now unless we can just start over with a new one at 5 years old! We also always give Ava new pajamas on Christmas Eve for her to wear that night and Christmas morning:)

Great to talk to you this evening, Emily. Keep getting better!!!

By the way, if by chance, it so happens that you get discharged and your flight back is after church on Sunday, we'll have to talk! If that was to work out, I have something I need to talk over with you! We'll see!

Anonymous said...

Well, since Will is so young, we haven't done any of our own yet. But one we did growing up and I want to do with him is riding around to look at Christmas lights on Christmas eve. We'd get hot cocoa and make and evening of it. Matt's family would always read the Christmas story on Christmas eve. These are two things I'd like to do in the upcoming years. I hope you get some good ideas. I'd like some too :)

I'm continually praying for you dear, for Jason, and for Faith. God is faithful. He's going to restore you girl!

Love you
Shay

And then there were Five said...

hello my dear friend. I am so sorry that you have had such a trying week to say the least! We will continue to pray for you, Jason and Faith. It is always wonderful to hear about you turning and casting all your cares upon him- what a blessing your faith is to me! I look forward to hearing that you are on the plane back to Lubbock to settle into things before the holidays are here. We have started a new tradition this year called the Jesse tree- it goes on for 25 days and cover Gods perfect plan of salvation for his people- the kids are loving hanging the paper ornaments on the lovely tree we made- haha it is a wonderful time to stop each day in the busyness of the season and remember why it is we are celebrating- the stories and devotions are wonderful as you see in scripture how God is never far- he has a perfect plan for his people that he is constantly working out. We love you guys and miss you!!!! Suzanne and the family

Anonymous said...

Em-Your continueing story keeps my eyes moist as I read the unconditional love your Jason has for you (much like my Wes and what he does for me). Just like our Jesus and His love.
You must have a pickle ornament for your tree! (Let me know if you need one) You hang it on the tree on Christmas and the children all look for it on Christmas morning, the one who finds it gets a special gift! Also we do the advent wreath that tells the Christmas story my kids grew up on that and still love it! You will love establishing your own traditions with Faith as the years go by. We continue to pray for yall. Stay strong in Him. susan and wes

Anonymous said...

Christmas Traditions…..we have things that we do every year, but nothing that is major. We decorate the tree…Brian does the lights, Katie and I do the ornaments. Each year I add a picture ornament of Katie, Hallmark Snowbuddy ornament, an ornament with the year on it. We play Christmas music in the car continuously the whole month of December. Katie and I do our “Christmas baking” together through out December. We also read the Christmas Story and Twas the night before Christmas several times in December. I like to wrap some gifts that are from Brian and I and put them under the tree early and let Katie try to guess and try to figure out what they are…..but, this year she hasn’t done too well with that and it might be the last time.

We are glad to hear that you are doing better and I hope that I get the chance to see you before you leave. Faith is visiting with us today and she really seems to be enjoying playing with Katie and Clay. Love, Beth L.

Anonymous said...

Sissy wants you to know how much she approves of your song selection. "pah, rum pah, pah, pum!"

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily,
Your faith, as always, encourges me, and makes me strive to have more faith. I hope you are feeling better soon.
Christmas Traditions~I keep all the Christmas books up throughout the yr w/ the decoratios and only bring them down when we decorate the tree so we read Christmas books throughout the season, we listen to lots and lots of Christmas music, we do a "baking" day with my mom and sisters. I also have a Christmas memory book where I record what our hopes for the upcoming year, prayers God has answered, new prayers for the New Year and goals foe each family member. It's always neat to go back and read it.
We do a birthday cake for Jesus and on Christma morning "Santa" always leaves a mess, glitter, moves the furniture etc...Jordan really gets a kick out of it! Also, on Christmas morning everyone has to enter the living room at the very same time, noone can go until everyone is ready. Its fun to make Jordan wait for just a moment~she is always so excited!
I love the Christmas season and always savor the time spent with friends and family. I try to remid Jordan the real reason for the season often so we do not loose focus.
Love Ya,
Heather Light