If I could tally up all the hours I've waited in medical waiting rooms I think it would be double the years I've been alive. =) You learn very quickly to bring a book, computer, games, or something interesting to do because more then likely you will be sitting there for a good while. We got to the hospital around 9 am and waited in the ACT (the room on the HTICU where we waited to see if I would receive new lungs) all day to start my medicine. Now I will have to say I did feel sorry for the nurses because they were having a rough day. Around 11 am one of the heart patients unexpectedly coed and passed away. It was crazy with the over head pager going off to tell all nurses to come to that room and everyone rushing around. The reality of how life is so precious and that in one way or another each patient on the HTICU is hoping for a second chance at life and at the same time fighting for life. Jason and I spent some time praying for the family who just lost a loved one yet also rejoicing because a family we have come to know is finally going to be able to go home today! (We were waiting for the same lungs and I got them but he got his the next week! However he has had a very difficult time and has been in the hospital since June so we are thrilled he is doing well now!)
There were some other funny, crazy things (that's really all you can describe how yesterday went) that allowed us to have to wait so long. One being they were all full on the floor so I was waiting for a room to come available. Around 5 pm two rooms did but then I was told another patient would be taking my room because they had two patients with the same last name next to each other and they can't do that so I would need to wait for the other one to be cleaned. (That's one reason I love having Mulkey for a last name, usually don't get confused with someone else.) So to make a long story short I was able to get into my room around 7:30 pm and begin my meds. (Which takes 6 hours to finish)
Jason and I did enjoy hanging out together (he left around 4:30 pm to pick up Faith from our friends who had been taking care of her all day, THANKS SHAY!) and he always makes things more enjoyable. My nurse was explaining how this medicine wipes out my T-cells (cells that fight infection, they have to really lower my immune system more in hopes to stop my body from attacking the new lungs) and Jason said, "So, it's pretty much like "Rambo" going in with his machine gun and wiping everything out!" I was laughing so hard and told him you sure would have an interesting way of explaining procedures to patients, but then again maybe they would understand that better then the medical language. =)
Thank you for your prayers though so far things are going OK. We won't know if it is working against the rejection for a while but we just continue to pray for healing.
Friday, August 8, 2008
Waiting is apart of Life.......
Posted by Emily at 8:05 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
Emily, It is so good hearing from you again so soon as my heart has been heavy for you since the blog from last time. Your spirits are still so high and that is great and I know it is because God continues to keep His hand on you and give you strength. Know our prayers are still with you moment by moment. Stay strong. In Him, susan and wes
Emily...you are amazing! As I read your words, I feel they are from someone much older than you! But you have already lived a lifetime with all the mountains and valleys you have traveled through! The reason you are so amazing I believe is because you know our amazing Lord so personally! My prayer for you is not so much for healing as I know God's hand is on you all the time, but that your amazing faith will continue to grow and sustain you every day! You have experienced so many blessings from our amazing Lord and that is why you have such amazing faith!...that is why you have Faith!!...and Jason! You remain in my thoughts and prayers! His love is amazing! Love you,
JB
Hey Emily...sorry I didn't drop by to say hey last week. I'll definitely do that next time. I was kind of in a hurry anyway. I hope the Thymo (i'm guessing that is what you are getting from you blog) is going ok. I never had any side effects until the week after i finished it. But I stayed in the hospital the full 7 days while getting the Thymo treatment. Are you starting the photopheresis stuff too? Are you still in HTICU or are you doing the remainder of the treatment as an outpatient? I'll be up there on Wed..let me know and maybe we can hook up. I'll be there Wed afternoon at about 1 and Thursday afternoon too for photo treatments. Hope you are doing ok. I'm exhausted from my awesome trip...so heading to bed. Talk to you soon! (Oh...I'm praying for you)!
Post a Comment