Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day and Chest Tubes Out

Daddy Jason was suppose to write on Father's Day but it's been a long one and he is just worn out. I stayed with Emily last night and we may have gotten a couple hours of sleep. Between bouts of pain, leaking around chest tubes and multiple dressing changes, high blood sugars with insulin shots, coughing up old blood, vital signs, many medications, and blood draws there is not much rest.
This morning Jason came to the hospital with Faith and Emily gave him a card and a few gifts. She is pretty amazing (always prepared).
It's incredible though, how fast things can turn in the course of a few minutes. Right after the mini celebration she started hurting with extreme pain again. Nothing relieved her and coupled with total exhaustion she was at the end of her rope emotionally. It is very hard to see her going through all this. It just tears us apart and makes us feel so helpless as we see her suffer.
One good thing that happened today is that the doctor took out her remaining chest tubes. Now she can sleep on her side instead of on her back where her incision is. Hopefully this will relieve some of her pain.
Another bit of news that we received today is that the bronchoscopy she had right after surgery showed that she has a staff infection called MRSA. We don't know all the implications that this will bring but right now she is not having any symptoms from it.
Tonight she is totally exhausted and needs a good night sleep above all else. Tomorrow we will attend a post transplant class where I'm sure we will learn a lot.
I hope I didn't sound too bleak as I tried to share the reality that she goes through each day.
She has basically had a solid year and a half of sickness and pain and she is weary. Please pray that God will give her strength to keep on walking towards the new life that awaits her.
~Steph (Mama)

5 comments:

And then there were Five said...

Emily and Jason- we continue to pray for you and for God to be the focus through all the difficult challenges in this healing process. We love you and will continue to lift you up in prayer! We look forward to the good days ahead- praise God all of the chest tubes are out! love Suzanne

Anonymous said...

Emily and Jason & family-We are praying for yall to get through this. Hopefully you can focus on the good days to come and we will pray for strength and faith just for the moment. We are praising God for the chest tubes being! We are also praying that the staff infection will totally disapear and there will be no side effects.
Sleep well tonight and dream of better days to come. God will carry you through this I know-I wish we were there to touch you-we love and miss you. In Him, susan and wes

Anonymous said...

. . .I'm praying especially for a good night's rest for Emily tonight. I know my world can seem totally overwhelming, when I'm tired (and that's without post-surgery pain!!). I pray that tomorrow will feel like a new day and that she'll be thrilled to have those tubes out. Erika

Anonymous said...

Emily - I just read through ALL the updates on your blog. I'm sorry I missed this from the beginning, but am thankful to have a full report because of all the wonderful updates that friends and family are posting. I am praying for you, sweet Emily and only trust God for the full recovery you will be experiencing before long. I am so thankful I have this opportunity to tell you what a special person you are. Keep up the strong fight as you have been doing and stay focused on the many tomorrows. Much love, Diana Fink

Anonymous said...

You are in our prayers and you are touching lives you have not even met. Our church is praying for your recovery.