Monday, June 23, 2008

New Beginnings

Despite my scary, early morning ordeal I'm doing better this evening. We just continue to take one step, one day at a time. People have been asking me though the changes I can already tell by having new lungs so I thought I would joyfully share the miracles I've experience so far with new, healthy lungs.

1) Being able to breathe deeper then I've ever done before and as the pain continues to go down I know it should only get better! I love seeing my oxygen 100%! Amazing!

2) Walking without oxygen and not getting out of breath. Before I did a treatment in the morning I would get out of breath just walking to the bathroom and back.

3) Not having to do my treatments or vest (which would knock down my mucus) anymore. Which I still "struggle" with feeling like I need to do my treatments before I go to bed or wake up in the morning. I've always been use to being the last person to go to bed and the last to get ready in the morning due to all the medical things I needing to get done. It feels too easy to just have a normal bed time routine and go to bed but it's something I think I can get use too real quick.

4) Not having my daily/night coughing and being able to sleep on just one maybe two pillows versus 3 or 4 prompt up in bed.

5) Although the side effects are different then the meds I have taken all my life and there are changes that I will have to make for the rest of my life but the med routine is nothing compared to what I was doing before.

6) I do have to wear a mask for the next 4 or so weeks while I'm out in public but it sure beats carrying an oxygen tank with me where ever I went and struggling for every breath.

7) A joy I've never known before is being able to laugh without fear of it turning into a coughing spell and even though the pain prevents me from the totally freedom of that I can laugh more then I've ever done before.

8) I'm able to sing and read to Faith without running out of air. I love it!

9) People have also told me how much stronger my voice sounds and of course my color is much pinker and heather looking.

I know there are more but these are what come to mind right away. Again we know there are many what-ifs but we so rejoice for the opportunity the Lord and my donor family have given me. We don't know all that the future hold but we did know I was running out of time and to be totally honest I'm not sure if I would have made it another year. Yet the Lord has and continues to be gracious and your prayers continue to give us strength and support! We love you!

"I love the Lord because he hears and answers my prayers. Because He bends down and listens. I will pray as long as I have breath". Ps. 116:1-2

"Let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need". Heb. 4:16

8 comments:

And then there were Five said...

it is so wonderful to see a post from you after reading about your morning! We praise god for the excellent medical staff that continue to help you through the minor setbacks! The boys have asked how you like your new lungs- i will have to read your post to them tommorow! We continue to wait on the twins- hoping that they are putting on weight with everyday! I am so excited to hear your news- and Happy early Birthday- i still think it is great you and Darcy have the same birthday! Love you- Suzanne

Tiff said...

Yay!! I am so thrilled for you. I can't wait to laugh with you. What a huge blessing!! Love you!!

Johnnie B said...

I love the scripture you posted! It brought tears to my eyes as I am reminded that the Word is alive and relevant even today! I am so glad to hear in your own words the blessings you are receiving from this wonderful gift of lungs! I am so thankful for the family who made this wonderful offering! I hope they know that it will not be wasted! We prayed for you again this morning as the staff met for prayer time as many of us are praying for you daily and every time you come to mind! We love you! and your sweet family! Johnnie B

Unknown said...

Dearest Granddaughter,
Happy Birthday tomorrow. No earthly gift could compare with the gift of your new lungs. Em, once when you were a little girl, you were not able to blow out the birthday candles. You did not have the lung power to do it. I bet you can do it now. I would love to see you blow out 25 candles. So many little joys will accompany this new breath of life. I praise God for every one of them. Grandpa and Grandma Newville

Anonymous said...

Em, Happy Birthday. what a birthday present you received and we are still praising God daily.I have been out of town but was able to share you blog with many of my family members at the reunion and we had a time of thankfulness and happy tears together as I read you were home in the "penthouse". Hope you med regulations are good. Your list of miracles are such a blessing to read.What a gift you have been given to be able to share with us all. How many people have been touched because of you! Give Faith and Jason a hug and have a HAPPY DAY! In Him, susan and wes

Elizabeth and Gene said...

Happy Birthday, Emily. Your message yesterday was such an inspiration not only to me and Gene, but to the 150 people on our prayer line also. I shared your "thanks" with them and am hearing back that it is so encouraging and they will continue to pray. Have a wonderful day and know that we are praying for you, Jason, Faith, and all those others ministering to you. Elizabeth & Gene Cochran

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Emily! I love you very much and am praying for you. Have a wonderful birthday!

Love,
Abby Snyder

Anonymous said...

Your praise of the Lord continues to bless our family. THANK YOU for acknowledging that your help comes from Him, maker of heaven and earth. We love you and will continually praise Him with you!
Greg, Wendy, and Hayden