I made it to the hospital in just enough time to see Emily get settled into her new room. She was in some sort of post-op ICU last night and was moved to the Transplant ICU (a step up or a step down depending on how you look at it) ...which is a definite positive move. She is very alert and aware and is able to talk! She took her first breath of her new lungs around 2 AM this morning when the took out her vent and her feeding tube (I think that's what she said) all at the same time. Ouch. Our visit was brief because of the end of those visiting hours and so that she could get some rest so I didn't get a chance to ask her how it felt to breathe with her new lungs.
Her new room is quite large and has a sliding door that closes. She will hopefully be able to sleep better because of that. The other ICU was completely open with no privacy so sleep was basically impossible. She has 4 chest tubes and her nurse was installing a lidocaine pouch that automatically sends pain med to the actual incision area to take the edge off. Jason & Eric were just leaving the room and her mother Stephanie and brother Ryan and I were able to go back. Her dad gets in later today.
She has a little table fan to help keep her cool (transplant patients seem to get hot easily) and is sipping on water and ice chips. Her main concern while I was in there was that her mouth was dry and chapped so chapstick and a wet cloth were in order. She said it doesn't really hurt to swallow but that it gets kind of caught in her throat.
Before Emily was moved, she had a bronchoscopy to check her lungs. The scope found very little fluid in the lungs which is great. Stephanie commented on how amazing it is that everything is falling into place. Also, she said that the doctor mentioned that these were the best lungs post surgery that he may have ever seen! How incredible!
Another huge answer to prayer also took place this morning. Once Emily is out of ICU and the normal hospital care, she has to stay at UAB in order to complete her rehab. I believe the estimate is 8 weeks from the time of surgery until she is officially released to go home. But, the medical town homes that they are supposed to live in for the last of those weeks is very difficult to get. However, Jason went to check on them this morning and they were able to get the last one and not only that....it is the pent house two bedroom suite! How cool is that?!?! This is such a relief and encouragement and will be so helpful with Faith too.
That's the latest. The reception in the hospital is good so I will hopefully be able to provide more updates than I was expecting. I told Emily about your comments and she wanted me to read them to her but we decided it would be best after she had a chance to rest. But, I can pull up the blog in her room, so keep commenting!
Monday, June 9, 2008
Transplant ICU
Posted by Emily at 1:41 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




5 comments:
Emily, we are praying for you and your entire family! It is amazing to see how everything is falling into place. You can see God's hand every step of the way! Thank you for shining so brightly and sharing your passion and love for God with all of us! God is with you! Marji Dixon (I am blessed to live with your grandparents, MaryBeth & Rex!)
Emily,
We are pryaing for you, Jason and Faith! We feel so blessed to witness how the Lord has put everything in place for you - God's hand is certainly paving the way! It's so wonderful to see - watching this miracle unfold is an affirmation of faith! We pray that you will continue to heal and be pain-free. We can't wait to see you and your family again! Please let us know if we can help youi or your family (including all the visiting family)in any way at all!
Love,
Shannon, Don and Aubrey
Hi Emily!
This is Erika...Michael Waters's wife...Emily's favorite sister-in-law (haha...I know she's reading this!) I just wanted to let you know that Michael and I are praying for you! I've also asked my girls bible study group for prayers as well that you might have a speedy recovery and be able to enjoy this new change in your life! I know that God's hand is on you and he is holding you so close. We have been so blessed by your courage and by the mercies that God shows to his children.
Hey Emily and Jason,
We are so thrilled to be able to keep up with the latest transplant news--thanks for the blog postings!
We are overjoyed to read about how the Lord is working out so many details for you throughout this process...leave it to the Lord to provide a penthouse for rehab! Awesome! We will keep you close in our thoughts and prayers. Tell your mom and dad hello for me. Love to all of you.
Amy, Garry, Reagan and Reeves
Chandler, AZ
Emily, How good is our God! Everything is so orderly and He knew just the lungs that were for you. We are so proud of you! Stay strong. In Him susan and wes
Post a Comment